As a mother of two small children, I can relate to the feeling of being both sleep deprived and overwhelmed with the desire to get your children sleeping like they should. Once my son was born, I read every book there was out there on how to get him sleeping more consistently. He was colicky, had reflux and we were at our wits end! Once we decided on a path forward he did exceptionally well and has been a great sleeper since. My son is now 6 years old. He actually took 2-3 hours naps on the weekends until he was 4 1/2! My daughter, now that’s another story. She is a happy, social 3 year old who used to take shorter naps and still experiences night wakings. What worked with my son did not worked with my daughter and we needed to take a totally different approach. It was the drastic difference in my children’s sleep patterns and needs that drove me to become a Certified Child Sleep Consultant. No one plan fits a family or even a child within a family!
I live with my husband and two beautiful children in Wilmington, NC. I have a Masters in Psychology and received my Child Sleep Consultant Certification from Family Sleep Institute in 2015 after completing 250+ hours of course requirements (3x more than any other program). Prior to becoming a Child Sleep Consultant, I spent 18 years in the Human Resources field. When we aren’t sleeping, we love to spend time at the beach, the park or enjoy family time together.
I help families with children 4 months (adjusted) to 5 years of age who feel frustrated and exhausted from not being able to establish consistent bedtime/naptime routines, too many night wakings, or just need a little guidance on developing an appropriate sleep schedule for their child. I work with each family to develop a customized sleep plan in which they are most comfortable with based on their parenting style and philosophies. I focus on each family’s unique needs and desired outcomes as a whole.
My goal is to get everyone the sleep they need and deserve. I am looking forward to working with you and your families to help them in any way I can.
Additional Education/Certifications I have received…
- Reducing the Risk of SIDS in Early Education and Child Care – American Academy of Pediatrics’ Healthy Child Care America
- Basics of Lactation Management Nursing – Lactation Education Resources
- Sleep Challenges in Autism: Causes, Consequences and Therapeutic Approaches – Beth Ann Malow MD
- Supporting Families of Children with Disabilities and Sleep Problems – Julie Sutton, RN and PhD Candidate
- From Tantrums and Conflict to Co-operation – Sharyn Timmerman, The Early Years
- Safe Sleep In Childcare Settings – Cheryl Carey MSW, Safe Care Consulting
- Perinatal Mood Disorders: Components of Care (2 Day Certificate of Completion Program) – Postpartum Support International (PSI)
- Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Core Training – Norma Escobar, Loving Support
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia – Dr. Gregg Jacobs , CBTforInsomnia
- “The New Child” from Birth to 2 Years – Sharyn Timmerman, The Early Years
- “The Developing Child” from 3-10 Years – Sharyn Timmerman, The Early Years
- 2017 Pediatric Sleep Medicine Conference – Brown Albert Medical School
- Certified Fit4Baby & Body Back Instructor – Fit4Mom
Check out all the cool places Seaside Sleep Consulting has been spotted…